First off, if you blame the quake on either God's wrath or Global warming get the hell off of my blog before I have to kick your ass. I have seen too much carp over the last few days since the quake. One of the main charities with it's token celeb was funneling money. Text for Haiti and none of it goes there. Whatever. They need assistance for just the basic needs right now. They are making shelters out in the open with sticks right now, in fear of the next aftershock. Tents and cash are needed. Here is a list of checked and double checked AMERICAN BASED charities. I have given a bit to several charities. I went to Fox News who has done a heart wrenching yet wonderful job. Take time to watch some of these clips. From showing children waiting to be adopted to their parents in the USA, to the impersonal mass graves mixed with dirt and garbage, and a mothers worse nightmare. As a parent I cannot even fathom any of this. You can hate Fox News for its sometimes Right views, but without them the state department would NOT have gotten these children.
With that being said other countries are doing things that are far better then our presidents idea of letting our donations be tax deductible this year instead of next year. Big fricking deal. Canada is matching dollar for dollar the donations in their country. Nice. Oh Canada! So looking north, I found this charity whose stuff I have bid on before. Comfort Doll. Take a second to look at the auction, there will be other artists up in the coming days too. The first is with Pete Levin. Here is the link.
She has in the past done photos with Collective Soul and most recently Blues Traveler!
Most of you who read this blog are parents. Mothers. What if it was your child stuck under a pile of rubble, what would you do? I know form the bottom of my heart knwoing someone donated their hard earned money to bring in the heavy moving equipment to save my baby, would mean the world to me.
Natural disasters happen everywhere. Death happens. But out of the tragedy comes compassion. Just 5 bucks does add up.









6 witty replies:
hear hear! i too have heard crap from various places wondering why we're helping Haiti and not the homeless people or people on welfare in my city/country... why? because the people here have a safety net to fall back on - not a good one i agree - but at least they're getting some assistance. Salvation army, welfare, Union Gospel Mission all help these people on the streets, and welfare helps those who are jobless (as i said not great but its 'something')
imagine running for your life with nothing. no change of underwear. no clean socks. no money in pocket and even if u had cash - nowhere to buy food for your kids or even a walk in clinic to go for medical aid.
my brother said its like taking Vancouver Island, Vancouver (and all its suburbs), Alberta and even part of Saskatchewan and making them homeless, jobless, aid less in less than one minute.
So again - kudos to you! good blog. and yes... dont want to get scammed- stick with the big name charities or google which ones your govt' supports. Easy. No excuses
HELLOO!! BINGO!! UGH!. i just posted on FB about that thing going around how they can do a telethon for haiti but nothing for US. Haiti fricken needs it. that telethon would do jack for all the probs it mentions in that note....
I can't fork out a bunch of money but i can donate to the red cross every month for the next yr. Which is my plan. I often wonder where Haiti will be a yr from now...
The other day i saw a mom who lost ALL 4 of her kids. :( it makes you want to drop to your knees. She was a strong woman, cause I would have killed myself... laid there and not got up.
I like the post!
The pictures I have seen just break my heart. How can you see those images and not realize they need major help. My heart breaks for those families who will never find their loved ones.
AMEN! The stories about the children ARE most heartbreaking. And those pictures-- it's my JOB to stare at them all day, but that doesn't make it any easier.
~Elizabeth
Confessions From A Working Mom
I do agree that no child - or any human being - deserves to be stuck in an area of devastation. Money will only go so far to help these people seeing as barely anyone or anything can get to the main land to help out! Once they get there with money - what can be done...nothing can be rebuilt, no supplies can be purchased...there is nothing there. My heart does bleed for those in Haiti, but my heart bleeds more for those in our own country who go without food and shelter every day...for the soldiers who are sent home to crap-tastic hospitals for "veterans" that can't even supply basic items. Until we can fix the issues here...then I don't think we should be bleeding all over the place for the issues elsewhere.
~WM
Well I learned the hard way this week that some people dont give a shit:(
Post a Comment