MONDAY NIGHT
Monday and Wednesday night there was severe weather extremely close to us, so like most (ir)responsible people we went out and spotted/chased the weather. Mind you Corey is a 17 year employee of the weather service, and I have been trained spotter for over 10 years now. Never were we either night in any danger, we flanked the storms. Packing Logan in the truck, and Sully just in case the tor hit the house, we took off!
The first night, a tor dropped within 5 miles of our home. Here is a pick of the wall cloud that the "Roseland" tor came from. WE would have been spot on in catching it, but the we hit the hail core as we were passing into Juniata proper. From light rain to hail to seeing nothing, we turned around to go double check the radar.

Here it is on the ground pick by Arnie Sommer III submitted to KHAS TV in Hastings

We figured there was no way to catch this tor, so we looked to the cell out just East of Kearney. Caught the lowering and funnel. No way to tell in my pics if it touched down. So to be respectable, I will say it was at LEAST 75% of the way down at it's peak. Pardon the next set of pics, as we were moving in the truck to get the most safe and best possible places.

And what chase would be complete without showing Logan all enthused about being out past his bedtime...Look at his commitment to meteorology!

WEDNESDAY NIGHT
This was an interesting storm, we picked it up outside of Shelton, NE. Right as we came out of Shelton proper, we saw a big 'ol funnel off in the distance. Too bad my camera picked that time to not take pics with the sun right behind the pic. It was awesome looking! And it wouldn't give up trying to spin tors till past Aurora, NE. Here is as far as we followed it. Outside Shelton's:

Outside WoodRiver:

Which by the way, most of the town was OUTSIDE while the warning was going on. Stupid!
Lastly, just outside of Alda (by Grand Island).

This time we were really wondering where it was headed as there apperaed to be more then one funnel (3 one not pictured). It was beautiful almost hypnotic watching the clouds dance. In the back of your mind you wondered and calculated the dangers of the storm shifting just a bit and you would be stuck out in the middle of nowhere in the tor. We waited till it was in GI before we took the Alda exit home! Freaky, but fun too!
All the pics from the 2 nights can be seen HERE








5 witty replies:
Those are great pics. I would be freaking out!
There is no way I'd go chasing. LOL. You guys are brave!! Of course if it was something I was use to maybe I would. People seem to freak out when they hear we had an earth quake, but I don't think they are that bad. They don't happen that often either.
Great pics!
This freaks me out - PLEASE be careful. I know your experts...but it just scares me. I don't want to lose you Krim....
Carrie, with all the crap I have been through in my life I am not going to let a Tor get me! I am facing the star of 90% of my nightmares. We are always a safe distance away, AND we had another meteorologist on the phone (with radar updates ect.). We were totally safe, I would never put Logan in danger. Though I will say that Alda exit home was a bit creapy! ;)
That looks like fun. Have you ever submitted pictures to SkyWatch? You should since you storm chase:)
Post a Comment